Wednesday, March 08, 2006

A Time To Riot

I have a well-documented history of being supportive of cartoon riots against insensitive and inane cartoons. Here’s the money quote I wrote myself back on February 7.

I remember well the scores of rioting robed choir and altar boys burning flags and shooting firearms outside the Brooklyn museum during the Sensation show, which featured Chris Ofili's depiction of the Virgin Mary with dung smeared on it. The culmination of the violence of that day was when a group of bishops proceeded to smash the windows of local storefronts, and then watched (and in some cases joined in) as masses of seminarians, priests, and pastors looted and vandalized the stores' merchandise. Who can forget the famed photograph of an archbishop running out of Century 21 with stacks of sneakers and blue jeans? A seminal image of that time in history.

I went on to say:

And most recently, I recall the hordes of Ultra-Orthodox who, during a violent protest, attempted to storm the London museum that was running a show displaying virulently anti-Semitic cartoons . There were scores of injuries, and even more arrests. I vividly remember the footage, caught on amateur video and widely run on national and international news outlets, of a pale, thin talmudic student in a black suit and hat, scaling a two-story building to get at a flagpole where the British flag was flying. Before he was apprehended and restrained by police, he managed to touch the corner of the flag with a cigarette he had been chain-smoking, causing the flag to go up in flames. The crowds of Yeshiva students went wild at the sight, and howls of approval that sounded like "Shkoyach Moyshe!" resounded from them at the sight of the burning flag.

I rarely put out a call to action for my readers, other than here, here and here, but this is different. The office of the OrthoMom has been attacked and mocked in this cartoon.

ADVENTURES OF ORTHOMOM







I implore all of you to stop blogging, go out into the streets of whatever city you live in, and begin smashing windows, burning flags, and holding signs. For those of my readers in the Five Towns, we’ll meet on Central Avenue for Sushi, and then march around the street, inducing mayhem and causing chaos.

Are you with me?

9 Comments:

Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

What a Riot!

3:38 AM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Soon, soon!

(literally LOL)

5:57 AM  
Blogger Ezzie said...

lol this was great - gotta love those cartoons!

8:28 AM  
Blogger StepIma said...

Brilliant! My favorite post!

I'm getting my torch and pitchfork and heading out to set fire to the Jewish Press offices as we speak... or was it the Jewish Week...?

9:01 AM  
Blogger DovBear the Humble said...

Orthomom and Shifra on a rampage! Mmmm...! :)

11:36 AM  
Blogger Shifra said...

That's sooooome hairdo you gave me.
A little butch, no?

Still I'd fight injustice with OM ANYTIME!

1:27 PM  
Blogger DovBear said...

ROFL.

This is solid stuff.

DBTH, take note.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Pinchas Floyd said...

great stuff!

6:39 PM  
Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

me wife wants to know is after Central Avenue Sushi, can we loot prada?

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home